November 23-The UnchangingLove of God

It’s the weekend! One of the things that I love about my job is not the selling, it’s just the talking to folks when they walk in the door. I don’t really have very “gifts” but one thing I do believe the Spirit has given me is the ability to be friendly and show hospitality. I learned that from both of my grandmas and a couple of very influential mentors.. When anyone walked in their doors, they were handed a plate of something and wrapped in love.In fact, my Grandma Smith cooked for the prisoners in Barry County. Unless they were dangerous, Grandpa would bring them home and they sat at the table with the family. It’s not only a gift, it’s a learned behavior and it’s not a suggestion, but it’s a command. 


“Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering...Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” ‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:1-3, 5-6, 8‬ ‭NIV‬‬


I love that the when we consider and meditate on the changeless character of our Lord Jesus Christ it will affirm and encourage us to live a life of brotherly love, hospitality and contentment. That perseverance in love not only requires the Spirit working in us, but us listening and responding to the Spirit. 


Hospitality when fully displayed, results in charity, kindness and compassion and we do well if we heed Christ’s words: 'He who receives you receives me' (Matthew 10:40-42). Further, we need to step out of our little comfort box and make it a point to identify with the suffering members of the body of Christ. 


Sexual immorality and love of money belong to the same category of the sin of covetousness. (That’s scary, isn’t it?) A greedy person can never be happy, but the opposite of covetousness is contentment. 'However, this carefree contentment is not an irresponsible improvidence; it springs from an intelligent trust in God and acceptance of his promises' (vs 5b-6; F. F Bruce). 


Just yesterday, I was talking about being worried about inflation and would I be ok in ten years, but then, this morning I read through these verses and conviction hit me between the eyes! What can mere mortals do to me anyway? The earth may quake and the mountains tumble, but fear not for our God is an ever-present help (Psalm 46:1).


Lord Jesus how wonderful you are! How blessed we are that we can be sure that you are the same yesterday today and forever! And in that confidence we can rest in you and hand over all our care and all our worries. Help us to always show hospitality and love to those around us and to do away with our “wanting”, that covetousness that sneaks up on us disguised as all sorts of other things. Teach us Lord to be more like you. Fill us Spirit with more of you and help us to hear you today. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear one,

Pam. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020