November 1–All Belong to Jesus

It’s Friday and it’s the first day of November. The beginning of the holiday season, I suppose and for sure the end of the growing season. Last night was a fun time for me with all the sweet little ones coming by all dressed up as fairies, gobbling, mermaids, clowns. I even had two dresses like those big blow up floppy things you see in front of stores to get your attention. But no matter how different they were, they were still kids. Underneath all the paint and masks, they were just kids. What great news is it that

“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for you are all one in Christ Jesus” (Galatians 3:21).


And I think that was what Paul was trying to explain to Philemon. We don’t know what happened (if Philemon heeded Paul’s request) but chances are (since the letter made it into the Bible) he did. Paul was trying hard to show Philemon the heart of God. 


Nowhere do we see God’s heart more clearly written than Isaiah 58. God challenges the hypocrisy of those who fast and pray with the appearance of piety, but on the same day exploit their workers and fight each other.


“‘We have fasted before you!’ they say. ‘Why aren’t you impressed? We have been very hard on ourselves, and you don’t even notice it!’ “I will tell you why!” I respond. “It’s because you are fasting to please yourselves. Even while you fast, you keep oppressing your workers. What good is fasting when you keep on fighting and quarreling? This kind of fasting will never get you anywhere with me...“No, this is the kind of fasting I want: Free those who are wrongly imprisoned; lighten the burden of those who work for you. Let the oppressed go free, and remove the chains that bind people. Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless. Give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help.”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭58:3-4, 6-7‬ ‭NLT‬


Throughout the Bible, the consistent command of God is to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with Him; to uphold the cause of the weak and marginalized, care for aliens, visit prisoners. The Son of God Himself tells us that whatever we do for the least, we do for Him. 


“So if you consider me your partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. If he has wronged you in any way or owes you anything, charge it to me. I, PAUL, WRITE THIS WITH MY OWN HAND: I WILL REPAY IT. AND I WON’T MENTION THAT YOU OWE ME YOUR VERY SOUL! Yes, my brother, please do me this favor for the Lord’s sake. Give me this encouragement in Christ. I am confident as I write this letter that you will do what I ask and even more!”

‭‭Philemon‬ ‭1:17-21‬ ‭NLT‬‬ 


I think the message of Philemon is this: embrace every part of the gospel, and let it change your whole life. Change the way you see people. Like the poor. Prostitutes. Convicts and ex-cons, addicts and homeless, liberals and conservatives, special needs, mentally ill, the unborn, homosexuals, trans-whatever, different color, different culture, different religion, saints and sinners alike. God makes it really simple: love everyone. Just like Jesus loved you. 


Lord Jesus thank you for your amazing love that goes so far beyond what we can fathom. And thank you for your great grace that accepts us all regardless of our situation, our past or our masks. Help us Lord to love everyone—even people we don’t like, people who are far from you, and people who don’t look or don’t think like us—even those people who have piercings everywhere and all sorts of tattoos...help us. We know to love like you is impossible without your Spirit leading us. Teach us to surrender our will to be who you’d have us to be. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear friend,

Pam



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020