October 20-Friends and Family

It’s the weekend!

And this is the day of the Lord! Rejoice and be glad, right? I had a couple of blessings yesterday. One of my best friends came to see me and spend the night. AND a sweet little friend of mine told me she is having a baby! Friends and family. What a difference they makes in our lives. 


As I was reading through II Timothy, this passage seemed to scream “Family and friends are so important!” 

“I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.” 2 Timothy‬ ‭1:3-5‬ ‭NIV‬‬


Paul speaks not only the influence of his ancestors on his faith, but of Timothy and how his mom and grandmother caused his faith to be solid. Timothy, whom Paul loved like a son, wholeheartedly served God and Paul credited Timothy’s upbringing for that devotion. Most of us have a family history that brought us to the faith (though not all). My mom and my grandma read scripture to me; my dad modeled kneeling before God and testifying to the grace that had been bestowed on him. Ancestors, trailblazers who showed us the way. 


But in the middle of this passage is the abiding friendship of these two men. Paul prayed every day for his friend and it seems clear that Timothy sincerely loved Paul. I think of my friends and not only the influence they have had on my spiritual journey, but their support and holding me up in prayer when I couldn’t even pray for myself. We just can’t do this life and do it well in isolation. 


What also seems abundantly clear, is the lack of faith can have equally devastating effects on future generations.. 


““You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit!” Acts‬ ‭7:51‬ ‭NIV‬‬


What an awful legacy for someone to say “You’re awful just like your dad (or your mom)!” That makes me sit up and realize the model I am for my kids and grandkids has big consequences. My faith or lack of it may very well have eternal ramifications for them. May they always find us, and see us, as faithful. 


Lord of Heaven thank you for this day and for the people you have placed in our lives. You have abundantly blessed us with friends and family who love us and care for us. Help us to be the best influence and prayer warriors we can be. Help us to pray everyday for them and to live a life worthy of you for them to see. You are amazing and your love for us goes beyond our imagination-help us to feel that love and to share it with, not only those we love, but with all those with whom we come into contact. Praise you Jehovah—YOU are our God! Amen and amen. 


Love you dear one,

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020