August 7–the Psalms

Happy Wednesday! Yesterday was quite the rambunctious day at my house. It was full of kids in the sun and water trying to wring out every last bit of summer before school starts. It was funny listening to them give their 

different opinions about school—everything from “the fun is over” to “I’m ready to see my friends. Some are super excited to start and others would be just as happy to never go. Lots of viewpoints, lots of emotions...like the authors of the Psalms. 

Have you ever wondered about the book of Psalms? I’ve had this love/hate/confusion relationship with them. Why is it the one book of the Old Testament included with printings of the New Testament? Why is it the “special book?” Is it just because it’s longer? Have you ever had trouble just reading straight through it? I remember once when Oscar was reading through the Bible he said “I’m stuck in the Psalms!” We have probably all wondered why they are so repetitious—why are there so many Psalms that say the same thing? I’ve studied the different sections of the Psalms (Ascent, Imprecatory, Praise, Lament, Royal, and Thanksgiving), but that didn’t really help me to understand the book as a whole. 

I’ve been again trying to read and study the Psalms and I’ve come to believe that you need to read the Psalms much like you’d read Job. You don’t use the verses of Job’s friends’ speeches in the same way you’d use the epistles or the Beatitudes. But you read them knowing they are the opinion of a flawed individual. The book of Psalms is similar, like a group of personal letters to God. Even the ones that were written for group worship still speak directly to God. The book of Psalms gives us a view of ordinary people trying to fit what they believe about God with what they experience in life. Sometimes they are vindictive, petty, self-centered, self-righteous, but always honest. 

If we try to put the Psalms into the same framework as Paul’s letters or the gospels, we confuse ourselves. They are not delivered with the full apostolic authority, instructing us on matters of faith. However, they are just as inspired. They are personal prayers in the form of poetry written by kings, peasants, professional musicians, and amateurs. This book is about people representing themselves to God, rather than God represented to people. 

I’ve come to love the Psalms because of the raw, human-ness of them. They help to reconcile what I believe with what I actually am living through. When we read through the book, the “songs” seem like they are arranged in random order, vacillating between walking with God and the feeling He has abandoned, but isn’t that how real life is? We plow through this see-saw of a messy, disorderly life and everyday, it can look and be different. One day we’re great and the next wondering where God is. 


“The Lord is for me, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me? Yes, the Lord is for me; he will help me. I will look in triumph at those who hate me. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in people. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes...The Lord is my strength and my song; he has given me victory.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭118:6-9, 14‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Lord Jesus thank you for you mercy and your sweet love. Thank you for the Psalms and how they bless us with their representation of real people reaching out to you, crying for your presence. We can learn so much from this special book, we pray you would help us as we study it, meditate on it and understand the truths you would have us gain from it. What blessings we find in your Word. Surround those who are sick and battling disease today. We ask for your touch of mercy and healing on their bodies and spirits. What a mighty God you are that you care about each of us and our problems. Thank you for always being there even when we don’t “feel” you. We trust in you alone. Amen and amen


Love you dear one,

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020