August 5 - Be the Church

It’s Monday and time to start a new week. Yesterday, I heard a sermon about the maturity of the believer and how that effects the church. My favorite line was “Jesus did not die so we could go to church. Jesús died so that we could become the church.” And of course we all say “amen” to that, but tearing it apart, there is a lot of truth packed into those two short sentences—are we the church or do we simply “go” to church? The more I thought about it, the less comfortable I was— “going” isn’t too hard, but “being” is really tough. Being the hands and feet of Jesus requires a lot more of us: our time, our talents and our resources. 


So what exactly has God called us to do? According to Paul, one of the functions of the church is to bring glory to God though all generations. 


“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” Ephesians‬ ‭3:20-21‬ ‭NIV


The chief end of mankind is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever

—West Minister Catechism

‬‬

“Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness.” Psalm‬ ‭29:2‬ ‭NIV‬‬


When we truly become the church Jesus wants us to be, lives are changed because of it. People around us are drawn to Jesus because they see Him shining through us. Giving glory to God every day for the things He has done and for the things He will do changes us. We are transformed to do His good works. 


So exactly “how” do we glorify God? Through our praises, our prayers, our study, our service to others, our obedience, our lives. Jesus said He came to give us life abundantly, and when we encounter Him in such a powerful way that we are changed, we have brought Him glory. He expects no less than our continual transformation and growth. 


So I will praise You on the mountain

And I will praise you when the mountain’s in my way

You’re the summit where my feet are

So I will praise You in the valleys all the same

No less God within the shadows

No less faithful when the night leads me astray

You’re the Heaven where my heart is

In the highlands and the heartache all the same

Whatever I walk through 

Wherever I am, 

Your Name can move mountains

Wherever I stand And if ever I walk through the valley of death

I’ll sing through the shadows

My song of ascent


Jesus Lord of all, we praise you and glorify your precious Name this day. We want you to be glorified, regardless of the cost. Mould us, make us into who you would have us to become. Help us to be transformed into thinking of you first and us second. We want to be your church, your hands and feet. Teach us to love as only you can and lead us to to the place where we are continually being transformed to be more like you. We love you and we sing your glory today. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear one,

Pam 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020