April 27-Weekend Fishing

It’s the weekend. Last night I went fishing for a while. Or maybe I should say that I went bobber-watching. I didn’t even get a bite. That only time the red and white floatie-thing moved was when I moved it. I was bored in less than an hour and ready to do something else—I put in a few more lines but time for alternative entertainment. 


I don’t know how on earth Peter and the others fished all night long without catching anything. I’m sure I would have been finished way before dawn. And when they fished, it was work. Hard work. They had no fancy rod and reels and cute little tackle boxes full of fancy lures. They had nets and their hands. They flung those heavy nets out (it’s quite a talent) and pulled them in. All. Night. Long. 


““I’m going out to fish,” Simon Peter told them, and they said, “We’ll go with you.” So they went out and got into the boat, but that night they caught nothing. Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. He called out to them, “Friends, haven’t you any fish?” “No,” they answered. He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish. Then the disciple whom Jesus loved [John] said to Peter, “It is the Lord!” As soon as Simon Peter heard him say, “It is the Lord,” he wrapped his outer garment around him (for he had taken it off) and jumped into the water...Jesus said to them, “Bring some of the fish you have just caught.” So Simon Peter climbed back into the boat and dragged the net ashore. It was full of large fish, 153, but even with so many the net was not torn. Jesus said to them, “Come and have breakfast.” None of the disciples dared ask him, “Who are you?” They knew it was the Lord. Jesus came, took the bread and gave it to them, and did the same with the fish...When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”” John‬ ‭21:3-7, 10-13, 15‬ ‭NIV‬‬


I can’t decide what part of this story intrigued me the most. The fact that they would actually stay out there fishing all night; or that they really didn’t recognize Jesus even though this was the 3rd time they had seen Him since the resurrection; or that Peter literally drags the net of 153 big fish through the water onto the shore since they couldn’t heave it into the boat; or or that we are told it’s 153 fish; or that the net didn’t break!


But no, I think it’s the simple fact that Jesus is still Jesus and He gives a sweet object lesson before He leaves Peter (and all those who are called to ministry) with a command. He feeds them. They are tired and hungry. And Jesus has breakfast ready. He fed them when they needed food because He loved them and had compassion on them. Then He told Peter, if you love me, you will feed my sheep—the people who are tired, hungry and need so very badly to hear of Jesus and His story, to know the Comforter has come, to know rest for their souls. I can almost hear Him using the same language as he did during the last Passover; “As I then your Lord and Master have fed you, ye also ought to feed my sheep.” Feed my sheep. It was quite the charge of the Master. 


Lord Jesus we pray we are always looking for ways to feed your sheep. As you told Peter, if we love you, we will feed your sheep. You are the Great Shepherd and we want to be like you. Help us to be shepherds to those you put in our paths—to love them and care for them. We want to show them that you are the Christ, the true Son of the Living God and that through you, they will never hunger again. Praise you Jesus, we sing Hallelujah to the Risen One. Today we ask for healing mercies on our friends and family members who are suffering and peace for those who are so near home. We pray you would wrap your loving arms around them so they could feel you near to them. Comfort them Lord with your Sweet Holy Spirit. In you precious Name, amen and amen. 


Love you dear one,

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020