February 5 - Shepherd the lambs

It’s Tuesday! I hope your Monday was good. I’m still fighting a nasty cold, and it has slowed me down a bit. But last night I got to have dinner with some of my good friends from working days—The Circle. We talked about lots of things, some serious and some just funny. On my way home, I thought about how so many times when Jesus was with people, He was eating with them. Even after His resurrection He was eating with the disciples. He must have loved to eat and then after a good meal and relaxing, most people were in the right frame of mind for that perfect teaching moment. 


“When they got there, they found breakfast waiting for them—fish cooking over a charcoal fire, and some bread. “Bring some of the fish you’ve just caught,” Jesus said.

“Now come and have some breakfast!” Jesus said. None of the disciples dared to ask him, “Who are you?” They knew it was the Lord. Then Jesus served them the bread and the fish. This was the third time Jesus had appeared to his disciples since he had been raised from the dead. After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these? ” “Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.” “Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him.” John‬ ‭21:9-10,12-15‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Isn’t it amazing that Jesus, who had been crucified such a short time ago, was casually fixing breakfast for his friends who had worked all night? He is such a good God who knows us and wants to supply our needs at any given moment in time. He cares when we are hungry and tired. 


I love the fact that John goes to this length to let us know that not only was this Jesus who was resurrected, but He was more than a Spirit or a vision. He was a real person who was tending the fire and fixing fish and bread! I also appreciate that He lets us know that Jesus told Peter three times ”if love me feed my lambs. (In Aramaic, the translation is closer to “Shepherd my lambs.”). Isn’t it just like Jesus to remind Peter softly that he had denied Him three times the night he was taken away for crucifixion? But here He was feeding them and he wants them to do likewise. It’s the lesson Jesus is giving to all of us: if we love Him, we are to shepherd the lambs (each other). 


Jesus, you not only conquered the grave but you returned to earth as a real person. What a Savior! Knowing you were a man who just loved fellowship helps us to pattern our life after you. Help us remember that when you told Peter to love your lambs, you were talking to us as well. Lord we never want to forget that one of our great responsibilities is to shepherd. Teach us to consciously watch for those opportunities and to be ever mindful of your great love for all. We worship you this day and ask for your blessings on our lives. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear one,

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020