February 13–Being Silent

Happy Wednesday. Yesterday, I picked up grandkids after school. My house was anything but quiet. But after they’d gone, mercy...it was silent. I probably really noticed it because I’ve been reading lately on the importance of silence in our time with God. (That’s why it’s called “quiet time.”) The first skill we should develop as Christians is to be quiet before God so we can hear His voice, but in this crazy noise-filled world we live in, we are not always comfortable with quiet. “Silence is required for complete solitude, for until we enter quietness, the world still lays hold of us. When we go into solitude and silence we stop making demands on God. It is enough that God is God and we are His.”(Dallas Willard)


We can only practice the presence of God by quieting ourselves and there are certain things that can and will only happen in that holy presence. I’m noisy by nature and I like noise around me. But when I quiet myself before the Throne, it’s amazing. 


One of the best ways to silence ourselves is through scripture reading. Read a passage, re-read it and notice words or phrases that speak to you. Read it aloud, slowly and consider how God may be speaking to you through His Word. Then, take time to just be in God’s presence. Lastly, Him for the courage to live that scripture. 


““Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.””

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭46:10‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him...”

‭‭Psalm‬ ‭37:7‬ ‭NIV


Father God, thank you for the speaking in the silence. We pray that you would teach us to be still before you and to be attentive and active with you. We pray that we would learn to be focused on you and not the things of the world when we come before you. We want to read your Word for all its worth and to hear you as you speak to us through it. We love you and we are continually amazed by you mercy to us and your great grace you extend to us. Praise you Father for you alone are good. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear one,

Pam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020