December 4–Lord Prepare Us

It’s Tuesday and I hope today finds you well. Yesterday, my son-in-law sent me a picture of my 12-year-old granddaughter—one who is the most girly of girls. She is standing by a big cow (or bull) and he said “look at the farm girl!” (Never mind she is wearing skinny jeans and white Chucks with no socks!) Needless to say, she didn’t really look the part, nor does she fill that role very well. 


Elizabeth had never been a mother, but when she was told she was going to have a son decades after she first prayed for one, she began to prepare for that role. The Bible tells us that a soon as she found out she was going to be a mom, she went into seclusion. Even though at that time it was a common thing later in the pregnancy, we aren’t told why she went immediately. 


I think maybe she wanted extra time with the Lord. I’m sure she spend a great deal of time going between “God thank you for hearing me and granting this miracle” to “God, are you sure my old body can hold up under all of this?” And I think she wanted all the time she could have to prepare for her new role as a mother. If I’d been Elizabeth, I think I’d have been overly concerned about my age and a new baby, but Elizabeth was a Godly woman seeking God’s face to help her prepare. 


“After this his wife Elizabeth became pregnant and for five months remained in seclusion. “The Lord has done this for me,” she said. “In these days he has shown his favor and taken away my disgrace among the people.””

‭‭Luke‬ ‭1:24-25‬ ‭NIV‬‬


“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.”

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭40:28-29‬ ‭NIV‬‬


This is the season when we remember the God of miracles and we need to let Him prepare our hearts for whatever He has in store for us. The God of Elizabeth is the very same God we serve and He does not get tired of us. 


Dear Lord, thank you for the example of Elizabeth and her persistent prayer. You are the God who answers prayer and we praise you and thank you for that. Help us to look to you as you work your way in us and help us to truly seek what you would have for us to do. We ask you for the promised strength and power as we continue to look to you while we walk in this world. Thank you Lord for your mercy and your grace that you pour out on us. We love you. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear one,

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020