November 6–Pray, Love and Serve

Happy Tuesday and I hope your week is off to a good start. I had my last therapy session yesterday and then I had my hair done! And since I spent most of my day with my friend Paula, it was just a pretty great Monday. I love having friends with whom I can totally be myself and we can talk about anything. Yesterday, we were talking about what life might or might not look like this time next year and she said “We might just be living with Jesus! Wouldn’t that be great?” I couldn’t help but smile and for a moment, just contemplate on that very thought. 


Christians have been talking about Jesus coming and the end of time as we know it for more than 2,000 years. Obviously, we can think about that a couple of ways. First, we might think It may never happen or on the other hand, we can believe the Bible and decide that it is 2,000 years closer than it was back then! The truth of the matter is that it WILL happen. Maybe today and maybe 100 years from now, but, we just don’t know. It drives the human side of us a little crazy (especially those of us with our calendars and appointments carefully planned) but truly, it could be any moment. 


“The end of the world is coming soon. Therefore, be earnest and disciplined in your prayers. Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins. Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay. God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.”

‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭4:7-10‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Peter tells us that it’s coming soon and in light of that, we need to pray—earnestly and often. He also says the next important thing is that we need to love each other, and love each other deeply! Not that “Well I love him/her in Jesus, but I don’t like him” kind of attitude. You and I know that if someone really, deeply and sincerely loves you, you can overlook all sorts of things, right? Peter says love covers a multitude of sins and that is so true. 


He continues with his instruction for the last days to tell us to show hospitality and to use our gifts to serve one another. I think if you just read passage this for all it’s worth, Peter wants us to live everyday just like we think it could be the last and do the things that are the most important—Pray and love and take care of each other—with our whole hearts. Because the end is near. 


Dear Lord, help us to remember to pray diligently and regularly. Help us to love more deeply just the way that you love us. You are our perfect example, your love knows no bounds and we are simply overwhelmed by its magnitude. Bless those who share hospitality so freely and help the rest of us to be better in that regard and to understand it’s not a request but a responsibility of those who follow Christ. We pray for wisdom to know how to better use our gifts and talents to serve the body. You are the God who delivers and the God who reigns. We praise you, the Almighty God of Heaven and Earth. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear one,

Pam 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020