September 6–the gift of presence 

Happy Thursday and Happy Grandparents Day at Webster Elementary in Webb City! (Guess where I’m going today?) Today is one of those days that is sad for me. I have some of those on the calendar that I dread coming that I just get through and another one is coming on Monday. They aren’t fun, but I look hard for distractions and things that are fun to fill up the day if I possibly can. But inevitably there are spaces. 

And those spaces take me back to a time when pain was severe and it was hard to breathe. And then I remember the people that were there. There is a gift I believe that some people have to just be present. Not speak, not try to fix the unfixable, but just be there. 

Before it happened to me, I always felt the need to talk—to say something, anything to people in that situation. I said some ridiculous things now that I look back on it. In fact the kids and I laugh now that we could write a book “Things not to say...”. But since that time, I have come to realize that “The bigger the hurt, the fewer words you need”. If I’m having a bad hair day, talk all you want. If it’s severe, don’t talk at all. I just need you to be with me. 

Job’s friends did a great job of that for a week. Job, the man who had it all, then lost it all. (All except for the wife who told him to “curse God and die.”) Then, after that, those friends felt the need to speak. To tell him everything he did wrong, what he should have done and what to do next. And they didn’t know when to shut up. Until God tells them to be quiet, bring a sacrifice for your son and Job would pray for them! God wants Job to pray for those well meaning but ridiculous friends. Job who had lost it all and is in deep mourning. But notice, Job doesn’t start to heal until he prays for others. 

“So take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and offer a burnt offering...My servant Job will pray for you, and I will accept his prayer on your behalf. I will not treat you as you deserve, for you have not spoken accurately about me, as my servant Job has.”...When Job prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes. In fact, the Lord gave him twice as much as before!”

‭‭Job‬ ‭42:8, 10‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Job is restored as he prayed for others. He heals. Isn’t that how it always is? When we get past ourself enough to think about others, we can finally be better...be healed...be restored. 

Dear Lord of Heaven, thank you for your provision and for your healing. You are so very wise when you teach us your ways. Help us God to be more like you, to learn from your Holy Word and to always pray for others. We pray you would open the floodgates of heaven this day and rain on us—let your grace and your mercy and your blessings fill us and consume us. We praise you our God, the Great I Am. Amen and amen.

Love you dear friend,

Pam 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020