September 28–Practice the Presence

It Friday Friends! And that’s a good day in nearly everyone’s book, right? I am not a workout queen. In fact, I’m not even a workout peon. I know I should be doing about 45 minutes to an hour a day but I’m pretty much a 10-15 minutes kind-of-gal. And nothing too strenuous—just some simple little stretches and leg lifts. But I’ve added planking this week. Yeah, that’s right, you heard me. Planking. And on Monday I’m not sure it went a full 30 seconds. But I’m up to a minute (well almost). I try to do 5 in the morning and 5 at night but sometimes it’s only 2 at night. Don’t laugh if you’ve never tried it because it’s not as easy as those 30-somethings make it look! It is really good for all the major muscle groups and I’m sure in a month or two or if work hard I’ll be up to 90 seconds. 


When I plank, I think about how much like praying it is. I don’t want to get up on my toes and hold myself until my muscles quiver, but everything I have read tells of the benefits to keeping your muscle groups toned and fit. Likewise, when my prayer life is weak, I don’t want to get on my knees and cry out until my spirit quivers, but oh how necessary is it to keep me spiritually healthy and fit! 


“So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he’ll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it’s the only way you’ll get on your feet.”

‭‭James‬ ‭4:7-10‬ ‭MSG‬‬


Prayer is the practice of the presence of God. It is the place where pride is abandoned, hope is lifted, and supplication is made. Prayer is so much more than just asking God to do stuff for us, to bless us, to open doors for us. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with asking God in prayer, in fact we are encouraged by Jesus to ask and keep on asking. (Matthew 7:7) But prayer where we actually practice being in the presence of God will send us to our knees. It will cause our muscles to be weak and we cry out in repentance because in the presence of Jehovah, we understand our God is holy and as Jeremiah said, we are unclean. 


Dear Father, help us learn to pray practicing being in your presence. We understand it can be painful to see ourselves in that light but help us God to desire a closeness with you because the time we can commune with you is the time we grow stronger. We love you Lord and we worship you. We praise you and thank you for your grace and your great love and your patience with us. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear one, 

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020