August 22-Neighbors

It’s Wednesday and who is my neighbor? Georgia is always reminding me that I am going to have to learn how to live in a neighborhood all over again. Part of the learning process is being nice to the neighbors and I need to smile and wave every time I see someone out and about. 


And I’m giving it my best shot. But my mind gets caught up in thoughts and I’m not always so good. And sometimes I wonder, “Just because I’m driving through a neighborhood, does that make everyone my neighbor?” Then I remember the words of Jesus and, actually, yeah it does make them my neighbor. Pretty much if I encounter someone, whether at work, at Walmart, while traveling, or even in my neighborhood, they’re my neighbor. 


“He answered, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ ” “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.” But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”


Then, Jesus told him the story of the Good Samaritan. How the fancy religious leaders passed by the man who had been beaten and left for dead by robbers. Yet, the Samaritan took pity on him and stoped to take care of him. Then he took him to the inn to recuperate at his own expense. He cost the Samaritan time, effort, and money. 


“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?” The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.” Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”” Luke‬ ‭10:27-29, 36-37‬ ‭NIV‬‬


I often hear people say “Well we all interpret the Bible differently” and I suppose there are some passages that we can say that about, however, this is certainly not one of them. Jesus was very clear about who our neighbors are and how He expects us to treat them—not only with compassion, but going out of our way to show them that we care for them. Putting ourselves out there and understanding that it’s costly in time, effort and finances. Neighbors. Be a good one. 


Dear Lord, help us to be a good neighbor and to love people as we love ourselves. Help us to care about them and to care for them—to show your love and compassion as we walk through this day and every day. You are our Comforter and our Friend and we want to share that comfort and friendship to those around us. What a wonder you are! You are glorious and you are majesty. We praise you and magnify you and sing hallelujah to you our only Great King. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear friend, 

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020