July 9–Frenemies

Good Monday! I trust you had a restful weekend and enjoyed time in church where you sang praises and worshipped the Lord. This week should be an interesting one for me—my finger surgery is Tuesday. Hopefully, it will get repaired and I can once again make a fist and open bottles with my right hand. It’s one of calamities of being older I suppose that it takes things twice as long to heal and they may or may not heal correctly. 


I was insulted a couple of times the last few days (yes, how dare people think I’m not perfect and tell me about it!). It made me do a little reading to nurse my pride and I came upon this quote by a psychologist (Dr. Brenda Shoshanna). She says “The person who insults us is a teacher who has come to help us reduce our ego, develop patience and compassion, practice unconditional forgiveness, and teach us about life and relationships. If you don’t perceive an insult as an insult, but as a teaching or a gift, it loses its power to hurt you. On a practical level, if you are insulted, say nothing. Give yourself time. A lot of harm is caused by lashing back, elevating the situation, and saying things you may not mean. Recognize it’s your ego (that false sense of pride acting up) and don’t go along with it.”


You know the apostle Paul even reached a place where he took pleasure in insults. Most of us aren’t there yet, but if we keep working toward that goal, it can happen. 


“That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:10‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Insults can be hurtful but like the Apostle says, use it. Learn from it and become stronger (not harder). And sometimes they come from our so-called friends, but God may be working though our enemies to accomplish what He wants in our lives. God wants to bless us through good and bad relationships, just as He blesses us through good and bad times. Time we spend with them isn’t wasted nor is it unproductive. The frienemies of life can teach us, build our character and give us the perfect opportunity to share grace. 


Father even though we may always want loyalty and a life where there is no conflict, we know that you can use insults to help us grow in our walk with you. We praise you and give you thanks for the frienemies in our lives. Thank you for working the best in our lives and for leading us in the way we should be going. You are good and you are kind. Help us to demonstrate that kindness and grace to those around us. We pray your blessings on us this day as we try to live more like you. Amen and amen.


Love you dear one,

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020