July 23

Good Monday Morning! I hope you had a great weekend and enjoyed your time of respite and worship with fellow believers. I certainly did. Not long ago, one of my friends said “You know, sometimes I think we don’t put enough emphasis on the red words in the Bible.” What he meant was that we should give more attention to the words of Jesus—Just what exactly did JESUS say about it? 


One thing Jesus always spoke was truth. And that was sometimes difficult to hear. In John 8, Jesus was speaking in the temple and he openly confronts the Pharisees about wanting to kill Him for simply saying the truth. He has healed people, performed miracles, and has raised the dead. It is clear, this man is who he says he is, but yet if what he says is true, then much of what they believe and practice can’t be. How do they reconcile that? How often have we seen in our own lives when we or others are confronted with the truth and it is in conflict with what we have held in our mind, we have to make a choice? Do we repent and accept the truth? OR do we respond in anger? Because if it’s the truth, there isn’t a valid argument and there’s no way to rationally discuss the issue. 


We see this a lot with parents and teens, in politics, in ethical arguments, in spousal disagreements, etc. You and I have all been on the wrong side (probably more times than we want to admit) and it’s hard to come to grips with the fact that the truth is staring you stone cold in the face and you were wrong. Do you get mad? —and let Satan the father of lies be your Dad? Or do we repent— and be a true child of God? 


 “Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God."”

‭‭John‬ ‭8:42-47‬ ‭ESV‬‬


Dear Lord of Light we praise you and lift you high today. We thank you for truth and ask for wisdom to discern and for the grace to accept it, even when it conflicts with our wants and desires. You are the Great Jehovah, the Mighty one of Heaven and we pray for protection and guidance this day. Go before us and come behind us. Help us to hear your voice for we know you are calling us higher and deeper than we have gone yesterday and we will will go where you lead us Lord, for we are not content to stay safe and tucked away. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear friend,

Pam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020