June 1-Promises

Happy Friday and how are you this day? Have you got big plans for the weekend? I’m packing the last of my house and moving this weekend, so if you don’t have plans...(tee-hee). 


Yesterday I signed a legal promise. Afterwards I thought of other promises I had made over the years. I promised to follow Jesus; I promised to love, honor and obey as long as we both lived; I promised to raise my children in the admonition of the Lord; I promised to pay for my house; I promised to pay for my car; I promised friends I would help them when they were having issues; I promised to support my children as they raise their children...promises we make as we go through life. God takes a promise very seriously. 


“When you make a promise to God, don’t delay in following through, for God takes no pleasure in fools. Keep all the promises you make to him.”

‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭5:4‬ ‭NLT‬‬


Sometimes, we take those things we promise to God a bit lightly, I think maybe because we know God will always love us and forgive us. But it’s important for us to realize that God does not take our promises lightly or superficially. In fact, a promise breaker ranks right up there with other flagrant sinners including slave traders. 


“The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching that comes from the glorious Good News entrusted to me by our blessed God.”

‭‭1 Timothy‬ ‭1:10-11‬ ‭NLT‬‬


When we say we are going to do something, we need to do it. Period. That’s what it means to be a promise keeper, rather than a promise breaker. It ranks right up there with telling the whole truth, not stretching the truth or exaggerating the truth, or leaving out part of the truth, but telling the whole truth. That’s what Paul is telling us here when he talks about the “wholesome teaching of the gospel.” 


So the lesson for me today is keep my promises and tell the truth. The same things we tried to teach our kids as they head out the door for kindergarten, we try to remember every day of our lives. 


Dear Jesus, thank you for giving us the wisdom to keep promises. We love your wholesome teaching of the Good News of the Gospel and we pray that we always tell the whole truth even when it isn’t easy or pleasant. You are the great Jehovah and we offer you our worship this day. We sing praise to you and lift you high. We are surrounded by you and ask you go before us to fight our battles this day. We love you Lord. Amen and amen. 


Love you dear friend,

Pam



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020