April 7–The Beautiful

Happy Weekend!


I bought a fainting couch this week. I have no idea what I going to do with it over the next few weeks and I’m not even sure that it will match my new house but I bought it any way. I bought it for a couple of reasons. I’ve wanted one since I was a little girl watching Elizabeth Taylor movies! She always had one in her bedroom (well I don’t think she ever called it that, maybe a boudoir?). And secondly, I just loved it. I saw it and just kept looking at it and went back two days later. My friend Carol gave me a very good deal on it and I just couldn’t help it. It is sort of a useless piece of furniture but I don’t care. It is now my useless piece that I love for MY boudoir! 

Sometimes I think that it’s ok for extravagance. One thing that we look at and think “I just like that!” In my younger years I liked pretty things but I thought the “pretty things” needed to be nearly free because they were not of use. I don’t think so any more. 

The Psalmist speaks of the wonders of the world, the beauty of the earth, the magnificence of the universe...many things God created that are simply beautiful. Things He created for our pleasure that He could have made plain and simple and they would have got the job done. But He chose beautiful. He chose brilliance and phenomenal. Sometimes, a sunset just makes you stop in your tracks and catch your breath. Now tell me, what purpose besides to thrill us? 

“The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge. They have no speech, they use no words; no sound is heard from them. Yet their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.”

‭‭Psalm‬ ‭19:1-4‬ ‭NIV‬‬

“You care for the land and water it; you enrich it abundantly. The streams of God are filled with water to provide the people with grain, for so you have ordained it. You drench its furrows and level its ridges; you soften it with showers and bless its crops. You crown the year with your bounty, and your carts overflow with abundance. The grasslands of the wilderness overflow; the hills are clothed with gladness. The meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are mantled with grain; they shout for joy and sing.”

‭‭Psalm‬ ‭65:9-13‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Don’t miss the fun, the beauty, the song, the gladness because you think it all has to have “purpose.” This life is too short to take too seriously. (And the next one is too long not too) So sometimes, it’s just about sitting back and saying, “I just love that! Thank you God for putting that in my life. ” 

Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on us this day and help us to simply enjoy the beauty in it; the simple and the complex, the things that are free and the things that cost us. You have blessed us so bountifully and yet so often we are so full of our problems we overlook the banquet table you have placed before us. You are a good good Father and you shower us. We love and adore you and ask for you presence as we go through this weekend. Amen and amen. 

Love you dear friend,

Pam. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020