March 29-Press toward the Mark

Happy Thursday and happy Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday, our holy day that falls on Thursday before Easter to commemorate the Maundy and Last Supper of Jesus with the disciples. Some things the Bible speaks of I’d just like to see the video and this is certainly one of them. All the apostles gathered with Jesús for supper. Somehow I doubt very much that it looked anything like Davinchi’s rendering of that night.  


Today, we are reading chapter 3 of Philippians. It is a powerhouse of courage and joy in the face of hard trials. The friendships and faith that shine through are so remarkable and encourage us to great heights to be the very best Christians we can possibly be.  

Paul begins the chapter warning us of the “dogs” who tell us that our salvation is gained in what we do—specifically by circumcision. He tells us that our salvation is in Christ and what He did alone. He continues on to explain that no one has more “works” to their name than he does since he from birth was circumcised at 8 days and fulfilled the law perfectly. But he counts that all loss because his hope is in Jesús Christ and what He did. His faith in Christ is all he needs, in fact as he explains in this beautiful passage, his works get him nowhere. 

“Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith.” Philippians‬ ‭3:8-9

He continues to tell us he hasn’t reached perfection or the place where he needs to be yet, he knows that. But what he does do every day is try to forget the things that are in the past, the things behind him since he can’t change that and look forward to the things he can change. And in the future?

“I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.” Philippians‬ ‭3:14

Now THAT friends, is a mentor that we can all strive to pattern our lives after, isn’t it? I love how the Message says it. 

“I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.”

‭‭Philippians‬ ‭3:12-14‬ ‭MSG‬‬

Off and running and NOT turning back! Toward the end of the passage, Paul reminds us of where our loyalty lies—in whose army we are in and what banner flies over our heads. He also reminds us that Christ will return, something pretty important to Paul because he speaks of it often in his writings. 


“But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior.”

‭‭Philippians‬ ‭3:20‬ ‭NLT‬‬

O Lord Jesús what a great day for you to come again! We are anxiously awaiting you and would love to see you this very day. Thank you for Philippians and how clear your Word is through the apostle. We love you and praise your holy Name. You are the Messiah and the Lamb of God. 

Amen and amen. 

Love you dear friend,

Pam




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020