March 22–Grow Deep Roots

Happy Thursday and how has your week gone? Mine has gone pretty well. I’ve not accomplished hardly anything on the list I began the week with, but I feel like I’ve been busy! 

Yesterday as I said goodbye to Braden and loaded him for boot camp, I began to re-evaluate how we pray for one another, especially how we pray for our children and our grandchildren. In Ephesians Paul speaks to the Gentile church to assure them of their position in Christ and how they should live as Christians. I love the way in chapter three how he lays out his specific prayer for them as though they are his children, because they are so new to this faith. 

“I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.”

‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭3:16-20‬ NLT

A couple of things strike me with this. First and foremost Paul prays for them to grow into the love of God. Does that surprise you? The most important thing for us to pray for our children (and for each other) is that they get a grip on the love of God. Maybe that’s not a news flash to you, but it hit me out of left field this morning. How often do we stand before the Throne oh Grace with a laundry list of what we want God to do when clearly, the one thing we need to be petitioning is for roots to grow into God’s love and to understand how marvelous it is. I know I’ve spent most of my time in prayer for my kids praying for their safety, for their salvation, for their future spouses, for wisdom in choosing a career, and 50 other specific requests. I have grossly neglected to spend the majority of time praying for them to grow into the love of God. That all changes today. 

Secondly, Paul gives all the glory to God is able to do so much more than we can even ask or think. How often do we limit Him and put Him in some little box because our minds are only that big? What about just letting go and let God handle it in His big God-sized-way? I know, it sort of sets the control-freak’s teeth on edge just a bit, but seriously....you think you have a smarter plan than the Almighty? And I have to be honest, sometimes, I guess I thought I did because I certainly acted like it. That changes today as well. 

Father of Light, forgive me for trying to tell you what to do and for trying to make plans when you can accomplish more than I can even think. You are God and I am not. Help me to remember to always pray for my children and the others in my care to dwell in your great love. You are a good, good Father and we are loved by you so completely. Thank you for providing for us and for counting the hairs on our heads and naming the stars in the sky. All glory and honor to you Yahweh, you are the Almighty King of Kings who has no rival. Hallelujah. Amen and amen. 

Love you dear friend,

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020