December 5-Welcome Here

It’s Tuesday in Mexico. And how are you today? Yesterday, my friend Rosa took me across town to meet her friend Lola—by walking, by taxi, by big bus and smaller bus. We had a nice visit and a really nice meal Lola and her husband cooked for us. Before we left, Lola told me that her house was my house any time I was in Pachuca. All I could do is say “thank you” because I’d certainly done nothing to deserve it. I hadn’t really even added much to to the conversation and Rosa paid for the taxi and the bus fares! 


In a small way, it’s the same way I feel about what Jesus has done for me. I didn’t do anything to deserve it. I certainly can’t make myself good enough or say the right things or follow the right rules someone else set up so I can be better than other people or check off enough boxes to make it work. No, it’s about realizing all I can do is my best for the Master. Give myself to him and follow his direction and just say “thank-you”. 


When he healed the crippled woman on the Sabbath, the synagogue ruler was furious because man’s “rules” were not followed. It sounds terribly like so many issues we’ve all battled. When rules take precedence over people and especially over Jesus, it’s time to re-evaluate. Because of all places, shouldn’t the synagogue leader have extended a welcome like Lola did to me? Shouldn’t he have made God’s house open to everyone? Especially to an old crippled woman who was now made well? And yet he turned his hateful arrogance straight to this woman who was praising God. 


“He was teaching in one of the meeting places on the Sabbath. There was a woman present, so twisted and bent over with arthritis that she couldn’t even look up. She had been afflicted with this for eighteen years. When Jesus saw her, he called her over. “Woman, you’re free!” He laid hands on her and suddenly she was standing straight and tall, giving glory to God. The meeting-place president, furious because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, said to the congregation, “Six days have been defined as work days. Come on one of the six if you want to be healed, but not on the seventh, the Sabbath.” But Jesus shot back, “You frauds! Each Sabbath every one of you regularly unties your cow or donkey from its stall, leads it out for water, and thinks nothing of it. So why isn’t it all right for me to untie this daughter of Abraham and lead her from the stall where Satan has had her tied these eighteen years?” When he put it that way, his critics were left looking quite silly and red-faced. The congregation was delighted and cheered him on.”

‭‭Luke‬ ‭13:10-17‬ ‭MSG


Today, give someone a warm welcome. And remember people before rules and praise Jesus that we serve a God who puts us first! 


Love you dear one,

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020