Saturday-Toils and Snares and Flu

Happy Saturday! I hope you had a great week and were able to share the love of Jesus with someone who was in need. I think I am on the mend, Praise God! You know, so many times we wonder why we have toils and snares that slow us down. Things that trip us up and cause us to lose our stride. And if there is anything I hate, it is slowing down! 


What are the purposes of our trials? Of our sufferings? Why does God allow them? I’ve heard it said that suffering is pointless and that if you pray enough or have enough faith you can rise above it. Or that you can just ignore it or that karma is paying us back for some wrong we have committed. But the Bible, God’s Holy Word, gives a very different answer. Scripture clearly addresses suffering, both that it exists and the purpose it serves. After all, did anyone suffer more than our Savior?

“...But others were tortured, refusing to turn from God in order to be set free. They placed their hope in a better life after the resurrection. Some were jeered at, and their backs were cut open with whips. Others were chained in prisons. Some died by stoning, some were sawed in half, and others were killed with the sword. Some went about wearing skins of sheep and goats, destitute and oppressed and mistreated. They were too good for this world, wandering over deserts and mountains, hiding in caves and holes in the ground. All these people earned a good reputation because of their faith, yet none of them received all that God had promised. For God had something better in mind for us, so that they would not reach perfection without us.”

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:35-40‬ ‭NLT‬‬

There are so very many examples of faithful men and women who made it through deep, heavy trials, like Job and the prophets and the apostles as well as fathers and martyrs of the faith—they all demonstrate God’s hand at work throughout history. All for one purpose—that He might be glorified. 

So, a little flu? Not such a big deal actually. I had a great bed, a remote, internet, and an amazing daughter-in-law to take care of me. It was as more like a vacation with NyQuil as I look back on it. 

Today, I’m thankful that I haven’t been called to be tortured or that my back hasn’t been cut open with a whip because I believe in the one true God. I’m thankful that I am better and that I am able to think again. Will you be thankful with me today? 

Love you dear friend,

Pam

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful that you are on the mend~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020