Good Thursday

Good Thursday to you! I trust your week is going well. As I was studying last night I realized I had neglected to talk about the most common name of God. The most used name for God. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the unusual and the less known that we overlook those that are right in front of us but that doesn't mean that they are any less important. In fact, quite the opposite is probably true. Those things that bear repeating over and over are probably the most important. 


That being said, the most common one in the Bible is Yahweh and it is usually translated as LORD or Jehovah. In fact, Jehovah is used about 6,800 times in the Bible. It is the personal covenant name of the God of Israel. It is derived from four Hebrew letters but since the Jews believed it blasphemy to say the name of God outloud, the correct pronunciation was lost so we don't really know for sure how to say it. 

Yahweh. Jehovah. The Self-Existent One. The I Am. In the King James version of the Bible, it's translated Lord God. Not only does it speak of God's strength, but also it speaks of the sovereignty of God and the goodness of God. The root of this name means "self-existing," the one who never came into being and the one who will always be. When Moses asked God, "Who shall I tell Pharaoh has sent me?" God said, "I AM THAT I AM." Jehovah or Yahweh is the most intensely sacred name to Jewish scribes and many still will not even pronounce the name aloud. 

“and they will know that I am the Lord their God. I am the one who brought them out of the land of Egypt so that I could live among them. I am the Lord their God.”

‭‭Exodus‬ ‭29:46‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Isn't it incredible to think of the very name of God to be so sacred that it is held in such awe that it cannot even be uttered? Have we slipped just a bit in the reverence and the regard of the holiness of the Almighty? When we talk so blithely of the man upstairs or use letters in text messages to take God's precious name in vain do we even realize what we do? Or how far we have fallen? God please forgive us. 

Today, pray for awareness. For a fresh perspective of the holiness of the Great God Jehovah and his lovely name. And pray to bring to consciousness when others around you are inconsiderate so you aren't drawn into that habit. Love the precious name of Yahweh. Praise Jehovah, the Great I Am. 

Love you dear one,

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 17, 2020

January 15, 2020

January 9, 2020